Amazon's Valorant Takes on Tactical Shooters Like CS:GO with Overwatch-like Agents
Valorant Beta Gameplay | Credit: beta.playvalorant.com
Amazon's new tactical shooter Valorant is taking on games like Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. But it's bringing a dash of Blizzard's hero shooter, Overwatch, with heroes that have special abilities.
So far, Riot Games has revealed 10 Agents that will be playable when the game launches on June 2, 2020. Expect more to be released (such as a new agent, map and game mode, etc.) after the official launch, similar to what Blizzard does with Overwatch.
Agent Viper | Credit: beta.playvalorant.com
Much like her name states, Viper uses poisonous chemicals in her devices to help his teammates control the battlefield. His abilities include:
- Snakebite: Fire a projectile that explodes into a pool of acid.
- Poison Cloud: Throw a gas grenade which is activated to deploy a new poison smoke cloud. It requires fuel, and the emitter can be picked up and thrown again.
- Toxic Screen: Deploy multiple gas emitters that create a wall of poisonous gas. It is deployable as long as fuel is available.
- Ultimate: Viper's Pit: This massive toxic cloud spews in a large area that stays as long as Viper is inside the cloud. Enemies inside are highlighted and visible to Viper.
Agent Sova | Credit: beta.playvalorant.com
Sova is a tracking agent that uses a bow and his scouting abilities to find enemies on the map.
- Shock Bolt: Fires an explosive bolt with a pulse of static energy when it hits.
- Owl Drone: Deploy a drone that is pilot-able and can fire a dart to reveal enemies.
- Recon Bolt: Fire a bolt that deploys a sonar emitter. Sonar pings tag nearby enemies, highlighting them. Enemy players can destroy this.
- Hunter's Fury: Fire three deadly energy blasts across the entire map. Each hit enemy takes substantial damage and is marked.
Agent Sage | Credit: beta.playvalorant.com
The healer of the group, Sage, creates safe spots for her teammates. She can revive fallen comrades or ward off enemies with her abilities.
- Slow Orb: A radiant orb that breaks and slows upon impact with the ground. Anyone caught in the field is delayed and grounded.
- Barrier Orb: Raise a solid wall that is rotatable before casting.
- Healing Orb: Heal allies or yourself to full health over a few seconds.
- Resurrection: Target a friendly corpse and bring it back to life with full health.
Agent Raze | Credit: beta.playvalorant.com
Raze appears to be the demolitions expert on the team, with many of his abilities involving grenades and explosives.
- Blast Pack: Throw a pack that will stick to surfaces. Trigger the pack with a button or pick it up and re-deploy it.
- Paint Shells: Fire a cluster grenade that creates sub-munitions, each doing damage if hit.
- Boom Bot: The bot travels in a straight line and bounces off of walls. It will lock onto enemies and chase them, doing heavy explosive damage.
- Showstopper: A summonable rocket launcher that does massive area damage.
Agent Phoenix | Credit: beta.playvalorant.com
Phoenix uses fire to command and control the battlefield. His abilities can throw fire across the map to help with control.
- Curveball: Cast a flare that curves and bursts into brilliant light. It temporarily blinds anyone looking at it. Which way you click chooses which direction the curveball goes.
- Blaze: Cast a flame that blocks vision and damages those passing through it. Bend the blazing wall around corners by turning while holding the left click.
- Hot Hands: Throw a fireball that explodes on the ground. The fireball damages enemies and heals Phoenix players.
- Run It Back: This ability marks your current location. If you die during its duration, you will be reborn at the marked position with full health.
Agent Omen | Credit: beta.playvalorant.com
Omen is a disabler that can hunt foes from across the battleground. Omen's sneaky play style lends well to his abilities.
- Paranoia: An ethereal shadow of Omen treads off in a straight line.
- Shadow Walk: Dematerialize and teleport a short distance after a small delay.
- Dark Cover: Cast a stealthed ethereal orb that bursts into shadow at its final location. Ability is chargeable to increase how far it goes.
- From the Shadows: Teleport to anywhere on the map. When Omen arrives, he appears as a Shade that will return to his original location when killed.
Agent Jett | Credit: beta.playvalorant.com
Jett is the scout of the group, filling much the same role as Tracer in Overwatch. She's fast and furious with a handful of useful abilities.
- Cloudburst: Throw a cloud of fog that obscures vision. Hold down the button to bend its trajectory.
- Updraft: Propel yourself upwards.
- Tailwind: dash a short distance in the direction you're moving.
- Blade Storm: Arm yourself with deadly throwing knives that kill on headshots. Scoring a kill restores all daggers. Left-click throws one dagger; right click throws all in a burst.
Agent Cypher | Credit: beta.playvalorant.com
The hacker of the team, Cypher, can keep tabs on where the enemy is deploying on the map.
- Trapwire: This stealthed tripwire sits between two walls. Enemies who trigger it are restrained and revealed to Cypher. If the trap doesn't get destroyed, then it dazes the victim for a short time.
- Cyber Cage: Toss a trap that creates a cage around enemies to slow them. The remotely detonatable trap does moderate damage to trapped enemies.
- Spycam: This ability places a remote security cam, allowing Cypher to see the footage. While viewing the camera, Cypher can throw a tracking dart.
- Neural Theft: Cypher can extract information from enemy corpses, revealing the location of living allies.
Agent Brimstone | Credit: beta.playvalorant.com
Brimstone can deliver an arsenal of weapons to his squad. He's the agents' commander, and his abilities reflect that. Brimstone is the only agent whose abilities feel influenced by orbital strikes from the Call of Duty series.
- Incendiary: Launch an incendiary grenade that explodes into a field of fire.
- Stim Beacon: Target a nearby location to call a beacon that gives teammates rapid fire.
- Sky Smoke: Use the map to call in orbital deployment smokescreens to block enemy vision.
- Orbital Strike: Call in a devastating orbital strike that pulses for severe damage for several seconds.
Agent Breach | Credit: beta.playvalorant.com
Create faults and turn the earth to your side with Breach. Her abilities involve setting charges and then wreaking havoc on the enemy for her team to mop up.
- Aftershock: Fire a fusion charge with a slow-activating burst. The burst does severe damage to anyone caught in it.
- Flashpoint: Equip a blinding charge through a wall. The charge blinds all players looking at it when it is activated.
- Fault Lines: Equip a seismic blast and release to set off an earthquake, dazing all players in the zone.
- Rolling Thunder: Equip a seismic charge and fire it to send a cascading earthquake in a large cone. It dazes and knocks up anyone caught in it.
There Is a Lot to Look Forward To
As you can see, the Agents in Valorant draw inspiration from several sources. Some abilities sound ripped straight from Overwatch, while others appear to draw from Rainbox Six Siege. Either way, Amazon's new tactical hero shooter looks like it's shaping up to be fantastic fun this summer.